Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Crazy impulse, great outcome!.

Probably you are asking, what uncertainty?
Well, it´s a long story but I´ll try to make it short.

It all began three years ago. Me and my sister, Mena, went to a cruise for New Year.

I met a guy, we talked and spent the last three days of it hanging out on the Caribbean. He was great, very smart, great conversation, very cute and we had a lot in common...except for the fact that we lived in different countries.
So that was it, all we exchanged was a sweet kiss and an e-mail address, which eventually turned into a Facebook friend´s request.

We wrote to each other sporadically, if not rarely. We knew that, no matter how great our Titanic adventure had been, it was not our moment. We were both in college, still living at home, and a long-distance relationship between a Catholic 23-year-old Mexican girl and a Jewish 25-year-old Russian-American was not the plan we had in mind.
So years went by, until one morning of a February 3rd, Facebook reminded me that it was his B-Day. I was going through a mid-twenties crisis and had a new attitude about making new friends and going out of the box with new ideas and challenges so I wrote on his wall:
Hey! It´s a long time I haven´t heard from you!! Happy B-day!!! Hope everything´s great with your life......when are you going to visit me at Mexico?? hahaha Hope to hear from you soon!! XOXOXO
To my surprise I had an answer to the message just 2 days later. And I think he was going through the same crisis because his answer just took me aback:
Hey girl, Spring Break works for you?
And that was it. Next thing I know is that I have to talk to my mom and let her know that we were going to have a visitor on vacation, a guy I just met for three days on a cruise 3 years ago!
As crazy as it sounds I have to tell you that was the best vacation ever! And in a matter of a week we knew that we wanted to be together...now things were different.
I had just graduated from college and he had his business running, we were both single and young enough to  do crazy things like falling in love in a week and considering having a long distance relationship.
Next thing I know it is May and he invites me to Chicago, his hometown, to spend my B-Day there and also, to meet the parents!
My two weeks there where amazing! I had found my soulmate, my partner and my best friend. So it wasn´t hard to say yes when he asked me to move in with him.
I went back to Mexico, pack my hole room and a month later he was there to pick me up and meet my father.
We went to Acapulco to have a get-to-know-each-other trip, with my dad and his wife. I was very nervous but when things are meant to happen, they just happen perfect!
Saying goodbye to my family was the hardest thing to do. I don´t have to mention that we are a very close and loving family, you can see that in all my scrapbooks . So the last night at home I just couldn´t sleep, I spent all night long crying and couln´t stop thinking of all the what if´s possible.
He was a sweetheart -as always- trying to cheer me up and passing me the Kleenex.

Just like that, four months after that Facebook message we were living together. Maybe it doesn´t sound that crazy, but if you put together the time we were actually together it´s only 31 days (3 days in the cruise, 1 week in Spring Break, 2 weeks in Chicago and 1 week in Acapulco).

People told me I was crazy to just take all my things and go live with a stranger; others warned me about hundreds of things that could happen to me in this dangerous world; and other thought it was a very romantic story.

There were a lot of opinions but here I am, 4 months later -still alive- living in Chicago and very much in love with a wonderful man.  What will come next? I don´t know yet. But for now, I will appreciate every day I have with him and the rest will come later.

It sounds like a beautiful fairy-tale, but not everything is joy and happiness...

The uncertainty began the moment I got here, although, that is another story...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails